Thursday, September 5, 2013

Munchkin Meals - 10 Months Old....

It's been awhile since I did an update on M's eating and BLW (baby led weaning), and I figured 10 months old would be a good time to recap where we're at right now. Also, today is Munchkin Meals Thursday over on Brittany's blog, A Healthy Slice of Life, so I thought it would be a good chance to link up!



Overall, we're still loving the BLW approach to feeding M. I'd say sometime around 9-9.5 months, she has really started to eat more, and play less. However, I still don't have a GREAT eater on my hands. We definitely have our share of meals where she eats a few bites and wants down out of her high chair. I don't want to fool anyone into thinking she's an amazing eater. She has good meals and bad meals! Here's what a normal day looks like for M's eating habits...

8:30AM Wake up and nurse

9:00 AM Breakfast....this is usually a mix of some type of fruit (cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, banana) maybe a scrambled egg with some cheese or some type of grain, typically a whole grain waffle or 2 of Trader Joe's mini silver dollar pancakes

12:00 PM Nurse after she wakes up from her morning nap

1:00ish PM Lunch Time!

2:30 PM Snack (cheerios, yogurt melts, rice cakes, dried fruit, snap pea crisps)

5:00 PM Nurse after she wakes up from her afternoon nap

6:30 PM Dinner Time!

8:30 PM Nurse before bed

For lunch and dinner, if she isn't eating what we're having, she usually has some sort of combination of the following...cherry tomatoes, black beans, tortilla strips, shredded cheese ("Bag cheese"), zucchini, squash, sweet potato (either cut in strips like fries or cut into small bite size pieces with cinnamon), yogurt (I put it on the spoon, she feeds herself), apple and pear slices, peas, cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, banana, cucumber, avocado, noodles with parmesan cheese....my list could go on and on! Somewhere between nine and ten months, we were really able to start sharing pretty much whatever we've been eating with her, and that has made things so easy, especially at dinner time! She loves spaghetti night (which has pretty much become a weekly occurrence now!), and mexican is a favorite too. She has really enjoyed guacamole, shredded meat with seasoning, and corn and black bean salsa. She also has a sippy cup of water at meals and through out the day.


It's been so neat seeing her grow and change since we started solids in April when she first hit the six month mark. Now she's practically a pro and gobbling up all kinds of things! She will usually try just about anything for us. She will often spit foods out, but then picks it back up off her bib and back in her mouth it goes!

I have LOVED that BLW has helped her fine motor skills develop. Plus, it's so nice to be able to enjoy dinner with my family where no one has to "feed" the baby since she does it all on her own. A few questions we have had...

You don't give her spicy foods, do you? Yes we do! The more flavors we can expose her to, the better. Just this past week she had a rice based dish with cayenne and lemon juice, and she loved it. She drank more water than normal, but she gobbled it up!

Does she ever eat pouches of food or purees? Only a few times...when we're on the road and I know we won't be stopping somewhere that has food options for her (ie. McDonald's), I have done purees. And when she's had some "tummy troubles" we've done pureed prunes to help get things....moving :)

Isn't it a mess? YES. A huge mess, but it has gotten better. I seriously don't know if I'd be able to BLW without my two dogs....just saying! Those two make a great clean up team!

What highchair do you have? I get asked this all the time...we have the Ikea Antilop chair. $25 and it's the best! Easy to clean (all plastic), easy to move around and take apart for travel, plus a nice big tray!


What has your baby been eating lately? 
Be sure to check out Brittany's link up today for more great munchkin meal ideas!


4 comments:

  1. Great post! I have really started pushing solids(real food/not puree)the last few weeks. I've only been doing it once a day when in daycare(b/c she's still in a class where they don't do that but she's about to move up).
    I have not thought about shredded cheese. I've been cutting up string cheese for her, gave her some cooked squash the other night, pasta, fruit, muffins, yogurt, etc.
    Just in the last few weeks i've seen a huge change in her actually eating and not playing(as you said).. and she'll be 9-months next week.
    i'm going to look at some of the other link ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took my daughter (now 14m) until about 10.5-11m before she really started eating well. Now she chows down on pretty much anything I put down in front of her! We do a lot of the same foods that you have listed here - except I haven't thought of rice cakes or tortilla strips! (Love the rug/mat under her high chair, BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved BLW for my son (now 23 months) and it was so easy. We did some pureed stuff only because my husband really wanted to, but once he saw how much easier it was he was on board. I love that you give her spicy foods! We waited a bit too long to introduce them I think and my son says "hurts your tongue" whenever anything is spicy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the post; i have a 7 mos old boy and you just gave me some great food ideas for him. he doesn't have any teeth yet so that slows things down a bit but i think i can use several of these. were you afraid to try the egg? i've heard so many different opinions; i am working up the nerve to try it though because there are so many benefits!

    ReplyDelete