Friday, October 25, 2013

October 25, 2012

One year ago today, at precisely 6:33 pm, we celebrated the birth of our daughter


It was truly the greatest day of my life. 
I know all moms say that, but I don't think I understood just how life changing that day/moment would be in my life until it actually happened to me.  It was painful, it was rough, it was long, I was swollen like a marshmallow for hours days weeks after her birth, but despite all of those things, I loved every second of it. 


On the eve of her birth last year, I sat on our deck with my husband and cried big, fat, ugly tears. I wasn't scared about being a mom, or the responsibility it would bring to my life, but I knew inside that every single part of my life was about to change. Everything in my life that made me ME, was about to get flipped upside down. And that was a big and scary thought. We were getting ready to embark on an adventure, but it felt as it there were no roadmaps or directions.



Here I am one year later, and my oh my, I had no idea what a wonderful change that little eight pound four ounce baby girl would bring to our lives. Not a clue. She has certainly flipped our lives upside down, and they are better for it. 


I went back tonight to my blog archives and read the post I wrote on the night before she was born, and I reread this line from a sweet friend's text to me that night, as I was trying to keep my emotions in check...

"It's overwhelming, to say the least. It's like saying goodbye to one part of your life and opening the door to the most amazing thing you'll ever experience." 

When I read this last year, I thought, "Wow....what powerful words." And now that I'm here, on the flip side, I can easily say that no wiser words were spoken to me my entire pregnancy. When I became M's mom one year ago, I did say goodbye to a piece of me. There's no doubt about it. And while that was a little sad and scary, what I got in return...words can't even begin to describe the joy this new life has brought me.


The past 365 days have been a blur. A blur of family, tears, snuggles, diapers, quiet moments and loud ones, worries, smiles, laughter, and most importantly....love.


Best year ever. 
I can only imagine how much greater it will get from here.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year! Happy Birthday to M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Maggie! The first year goes by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Maggie! I totally agree with everything you said. I said goodbye to a part of myself, but becoming a mother has been an amazing experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you wish you could relive her birth day over and over and over? That's how I feel with Brooks. Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy. Haha. Either way... thank you for sharing her first year with us... happy birthday sweet Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading all your posts about Ms first birthday! I can totally relate on everything. So hard, yet so worth every second of it. Happy Birthday Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! Happy birthday to Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww this made me cry!!! Happy birthday to your sweet little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me cry and is so well written! I couldnt agree more and Happy Birthday M!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday M! How has it already been a year? She is so precious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok this post has me in a puddle of tears! How are our girls already 1?? Such a beautiful post and I hope she had a wonderful birthday. Congrats on 1 year of being a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to her!!! I can't believe it's been a year!

    ReplyDelete