Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dining Room Makeover

This post is way overdue! But that seems to be a theme on my blog lately!

Last January, I saw a blog post of someone's new farmhouse dining room table, and I sort of jokingly told J I wanted him to make me one for our five year anniversary (July) since the traditional five year gift is wood. The wheels got turning in his head, and come early July, he had purchased all of the wood for the table and he got to work. 


Here we are four months later and the dining room makeover is (more of less) finished....


Just for fun...here's what our old table and chairs looked like. This is what I posted on Craigslist to sell it, which is why it was so empty and the table was clear (this rarely happens).


And here's the room before with the new table in place, but old chairs and the hutch before it was refinished, and the table covered in...stuff! 



And here it is today...



The old table, chairs, and hutch were a hand me down from a family I used to babysit for that I received when I moved to my first apartment post college. It was a great set of furniture, but not what I wanted for the long term. 

When we started to think about how we wanted to change this room (and on a budget), I started looking into how I could refinish the hutch and chairs myself. In the end, we went with new chairs, mostly because refinishing 8 chairs seemed like a daunting task. I found our chairs for $50 each at Ikea, and with the money we made from the old set on Craigslist, it helped cut the cost in half. 

I did refinish the hutch with Annie Sloan chalk paint, and eventually I hope to get a post up about that! I LOVE how it turned out. And while the AS Chalk Paint was a little pricey, it was still much cheaper than buying a new piece of furniture. 


I still want to add some art work to the walls, and eventually down the road I want to replace the light fixture, but right now I am so so pleased with how it has turned out! It's all ready, just in time for Thanksgiving! 


Placemats and napkins from World Market
Paint color on walls is Shark Loop from Valspar


10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this looks so good! Dramatic transformation! We've been looking for reasonably priced chairs for our breakfast table and these are perfect! Now I must convince Kevin that we NEED them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love the chairs. And they're solid wood and reasonably easy to put together!

      Delete
  2. Did you end up taking the doors off the top part of the hutch? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I took off the doors and removed the panes of glass up top!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! We are quite pleased with how it all came together!

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I have a few things on my list to have Brad make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looking beautiful! What a great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the white and I love how that table turned out! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here's the room before with the new table in place, but old chairs and the hutch before it was refinished, and the table covered in... diningroomhutch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete