Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Turning Thirty

Today I'm in the kitchen prepping and cooking up a storm for our big feast tomorrow! My parents and little brother are coming to Charlotte to celebrate Thanksgiving with us, and I have about 4 sides I want to get prepared today in between chasing my toddler all over the house. Turns out preparing Thanksgiving with a four week old newborn is a lot easier than doing it with a 13 month old!

Tomorrow we're not only eating turkey and all kinds of other goodies, but we'll also be putting some candles in our pumpkin pie for J's birthday. His birthday only falls on Thanksgiving every couple of years, and this just happens to be one of those years. And then after we celebrate his big day, we are celebrating my 30th (and my golden birthday!) on Saturday. Busy (and fun) week over here!

Up until recently, I thought turning 30 seemed like this big, scary milestone. In the back of my mind, I knew it was just another number, but it just felt like there was no way I was getting so close to this age. But now that's it here, I'm actually kind of excited. I think it's going to be the start of a wonderful new decade, and although my 20's were  extremely good to me, there was a lot of stress and confusion that came along with my 20's. I'm thankful for 30 healthy years, and for the all of the joy and love I've received in that time. It's funny when you're birthday coincides right with Thanksgiving weekend. It makes you do some extra reflecting on all of the good you have in your life. Instead of feeling sad that I've hit this big scary 30th birthday, I can only feel thankful that I've been given 30 great years on this Earth.


I hope you and your loved ones have a great day tomorrow as you celebrate all the good things going on in your lives. There's nothing greater than a holiday where we're surrounded by good food, good people, and quality time reflecting on what brings us joy and happiness....and maybe a parade full of fun balloons, singing and dancing, and Santa Claus! That's pretty great too!

6 comments:

  1. You certainly have lots to celebrate in the coming days! Happy early birthday to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is Jan 5, so I have a lot of New Years Resolution-related reflection around mine. It's always - "What do I want out of this year?" and it's a cool feeling thinking that way about a birthday. I turn 29 this year and am with you -- my 20s are soon going to be behind me, and wow were there a lot of ups and downs! I always say "I hope I never peak" and it's true - I hope 29 is the best, and then my 30s are the best, and then my 40s, etc. Cheers to your big birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early 30th! Lots of exciting events over the long weekend! Gobble gobble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture is absolutely beautiful! Weep! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 30th!! Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving as well!

    ReplyDelete