Monday, February 3, 2014

reevaluating.

About a month ago, I read blog after blog full of goals and resolutions for the new year. I typically participate in this ritual each year on January 1, but this year I decided not to set any lofty goals or plans and, instead, decided to just face what the year had in store for me. 

Here we are now, on February 3, and I'm making a small amendment to my year of no goals...instead I have just one small goal I have decided to put in effect (as of February 1): 
No more cell phones or tablets in bed at night. 


There used to be a time when I went to bed at night, I would get in bed and read a magazine or book. Sometimes I'd sip hot tea while I flipped through the pages of my Real Simple, and sometimes I'd just hop in bed and pass out before I could even get my book open.

In 2009 I got a smartphone, and I quickly lost my passion for reading. Instead of devouring a new novel before I fall asleep, I found myself reading blogs, scrolling through instagram or facebook, watching an episode of a show on Netflix, or (most embarrassingly) playing a (waste of time) game like Candy Crush or Words with Friends. Sure, these things aren't bad. But when they replace something you love and they're the last thing you see before falling asleep every single night, it might mean it's time to take a step back. 

Looking at a bright phone (or tablet) nightly before bed does nothing to help my mind calm down and feel rested. There's also nothing I'm gaining from reading through the daily lives of minor acquaintances who I haven't seen in years on facebook at 11pm. I don't need to know what that one guy from high school thinks about Obama, and I sure don't need to read another buzzfeed article. Again, there's nothing wrong with these things, but it finally hit me that this is not what I should be filling my head with each night as I put my head on the pillow. 

As I read through Elise Cripe's blog the other day (which is a favorite read, btw), I read this post from her on following through with her One Little Word for the year, whole. She mentioned that she was no longer bringing her phone or iPad to bed with her, and I think that reading her post was the kick in the butt that I needed to really do this. 

So now, instead of my cell phone and it's charger on my nightstand, I have my stack of library books and my Nook (not backlit!).



I'm ready to take on this challenge and break my bad habits. 
Anyone else out there want to join in?

15 comments:

  1. More power to you girl! I really need to do this because I'm way too obsessed with my phone but it'd be hard to do, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do this too. It has really gotten bad. I'm even known to cruise through my IG and FB feed at 4am when I wake up and can't get back to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that in our newly-wedded life we've suddenly both become unable to wake up or go to sleep without checking the phone - it's SO annoying! I still read at night, but it's just not the best anymore since I'm so easily distracted.

    My goal is to up the number of books I read this year... hence why on my days off lately I'm trying to devour books to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great idea! I think I should recommend this for Hubby & I...we used to just sit and read books or magazines or even just watch tv together before dozing off. Maybe I need to go back to my old-fashioned alarm clock to quit using my phone as an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes yes. All of it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to argue with you for just a minute. I agree in theory, but I read books on my Kindle Fire in bed at night. I know it's backlit, but I love to snuggle under the covers with the lights off and my fan on and just READ! I do occasionally look at FB or IG but this is really mostly my quiet reading time. So I can agree on the no social media, but I have to be able to have my backlit Kindle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize you read Elise's blog!! I love her. Did I read somewhere on your blog that you scrapbook? I used to like a maniac (and even got a few things published in the magazines) - but now I just do Project Life by Becky Higgins - mostly just baby albums for Parker and Avery's first years. Anyway - we should chat about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love it if I put my phone away and didn't bring it to bed. Just last night he said "why do I watch shows with you when you just look at your phone the whole time?" I felt really bad!!! So I think I need to stop with the social media at night, but maybe still keep my ipad there for reading books only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started doing this last month for about a week, for all the same reasons... and someone my phone has made it back to my bedside table already! Thanks for the kick in the pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! The cellphone has kind of taken over too much of my valuable time. I think I might have to try this one resolution out (but I'm not sure if I'll last the whole year, maybe I should start one week at a time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this goal! I was late to hop on the smartphone wagon, but since having it the last year or so I have become obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, I'm definitely guilty of it. Heck we are both sitting on our computers now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! And I've got some of the same books on my nightstand right now too. I kept thinking I didn't have time to read...but I realized there was a lot of time once I stopped the random FB checking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spot on. My smart phone has had a shattered screen for almost a year and I refuse to replace it because I don't need to make it any more comfortable for me to look at. We actually finally just signed up for a land line in hopes of being able to better disconnect at night. our excuse before was that we had to have them by our beds in case of emergency, but not anymore. When google reader went away, i was sad, but I opted out of any other subscription service. I keep a list in my notes and read through when I have down time on my night shift at work. I just realized I was spending way too much time invested in that internet world and missing out on my own! Thanks for the reminder. I need them often.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with this! I've been meaning to try to do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete