Thursday, March 27, 2014

Home Improvements 2014: Foyer Table

On Monday, I shared home project number one of the year...moving onto project #2! Our foyer!

We have a small foyer that you walk into when you come in our front door. Our living room is to the right, the kitchen it directly in front of you, and stairs are to the left. Between the living and the kitchen, there was a small corner/two walls, and until this past month, there was nothing here.


 I knew from early on that I wanted a small table or shelf here, but that wall is surprisingly small and almost every piece of furniture I found was too long for the space. So, this only means one thing...I get my husband to build a shelf for me! 

I had seen this one at World Market (that was too long) and described it to J, and he sort of just went with it and made a design that worked in the space we had.


He got a table saw for Christmas, so he was excited to put it to use with a new project!


I stained it a few weeks later when we finally got some sunshine and the snow left us, and then J sealed it with polyurethane. 


And now, here it is today!




The print I hung above it is from Minted, and the frame is actually one I picked up from Goodwill for $9. It had a very old and ugly print in it, so I took it out and pitched it, cleaned the glass, and spray painted my frame gold (which was looking pretty rough).  



All in all, a fairly cheap project to really brighten up an empty spot in our home. I still want to find a cute, small tray or plate to put on the top of the shelf to put mail on, but haven't found anything I love yet. M is a fan because she can no access her hats from a basket on the shelf, and Rosie and Layla are fans, because M has been known to leave her snack cups on the middle shelf...perfect dog height!









10 comments:

  1. Awesome!! It looks GREAT! Love that we have handy hubbys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO great and it gets my DIY juices flowing. Unfortunately it's still so cold here I don't have the energy to brave the cold for DIY. I need a workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic, friend! And that print above is stunning, too. Wow! It's all so beautiful... and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful! My brother has taken wood shop classes all through high school and built my mom a beautiful table for her kitchen with a drawer, some shelves, some holes for wine bottles. It's beautiful and functional at the same time. He's already assured us that when we get a house someday he'll help with custom woodworking projects like this! You both did a great job, it's really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I wish I had a handy husband!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out so good! I know I have expressed my love of that print from Minted to you before, but goodness, I love it! What size did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! It's beautiful! Your hubby is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks great!!! J is quite handy. That's an impressive table!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that looks great! He does such a wonderful job at making furniture!

    ReplyDelete