Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rachel the Scrapbooker

When I first started blogging in 2008 (have I really been blogging for 6+ years?!), I started because there was a handful of scrapbooking bloggers I followed who really inspired me. If we back track a little further, to my high school days, you'd learn that I worked at a local scrapbook store for 3 years. I have about 6 VERY detailed scrapbooks that tell the story of my high school years. I scrapbooked here and there through out college, and then got into again in 2007 when I finished grad school, but then quickly fell out of it somewhere around 2009.

Since then, I have continued following a few scrapbook blogs, in fact they're some of my favorites (Ali Edwards, Stephanie Howell, Elise Blaha Cripe), and I've seen the trend of scrapbooking traditional layouts phase out as Project Life has become the new "thing" in the scrapbook world. Project Life, if you've never heard of it, is a simpler version of documenting your life from Becky Higgins. This page on her blog does a GREAT job discussing it and what it really is. 

Now that we have a daughter, I knew I wanted to get back into scrapbooking. I missed the creation aspect of it, but I also knew I didn't have the time to commit to it like I once did. So, at the end of January, I thought, what the heck...let's give this a try. And here I am now, on week 10 of my album, and y'all....I LOVE it. I spend maybe an hour each week putting together my weekly page and I love that hour. I love my instagram account, but let's be honest, will those pictures and captures be around one day for my daughter if I never get them put in a book? In my project life album, I combine pictures from my phone, instagram, and my DSLR and I try hard to journal some each week to tell the story of our week.

I do all my printing at Walgreens (upload from computer and through their app on my phone).
Supplies I've bought:

Photo Pocket Pages - J (GREAT for instagram pics)

Here are my first 10 weeks!












If you have questions, leave them in the comments and I'll try to answer!

8 comments:

  1. Okay. I'm feeling inspired. I really want to start project life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! Every time I have to go into our hall closet & move the hundreds (and hundreds) of dollars' worth of scrapbooking stuff, I feel like such a failure for not sticking with it! This looks SO doable! Definitely checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrapbooking too. I was into it during college and after college. I do some now with Shutterfly but really.. i consider my blog my online scrapbook and journal these days. Especially, since going private. I try and post weekend recaps, etc with pictures so one day Shelby can look back and enjoy.
    How many other kids can say that?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww these are so good!! I actually got a bunch of Project Life stuff at my baby shower, but I've been majorly slacking. You totally just motivated me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good! I need to start scrapbooking. I haven't done my life for the last 10 years. Also need make an album for my Europe/Wedding trip and then start one for my stepson. It's a lot of work, but this makes it a lot less daunting if you just do a simple page for each week. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is amazing! I was a scrapbooker back in the day, and I just didn't take the time to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, I could've written this. I worked at a LSS, was published several times, and cranked out tons of layouts. Now I love Project Life. I mean it, we need to have a Project Life party one night :) I am so behind on Avery's album.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete