Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Littler Gardener

Most evenings after dinner, this is what M insists on doing...watering our plants! 



She gets such a kick out of "helping" us right now. It's amazing how much she watches us and then mimics our behaviors. I know I've said it before, but this is such a neat age watching her grow and learn so much!

I went to a Montessori workshop at a local school last month about understanding the toddler's brain and how it grows and develops (which was super interesting, btw!), and one of the things I learned was to give her lots of jobs and let her feel like she's helping us. We do a pretty good job at this, but I won't lie, sometimes it's easier to just do the job all by myself so I can get it done quicker and move on, but when I do stop to let her help, the smiles of accomplishment I get in return are well worth it!



How does your toddler help at home?

2 comments:

  1. My kids both just started Montessori and I'm on a steep learning curve to the Montessori approach but honestly I love it! It really shouldn't be that shocking (but somehow it is I guess) that children want to help us with the day-to-day stuff that keeps us so busy. It is so fun watching Drew's brain tick as she figures out how to use the broom or flush the potty...all so simple but so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually recently wrote a post about this for the New Orleans Moms Blog. Ever since I started letting him help instead of trying to do it, life has become so much easier because he feels accomplished, and he is getting the hang of some of the chores!

    ReplyDelete