Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Playroom/Home Office Update!

Back at the end of May, I shared a few of my priorities for the summer, and one of those priorities was to get our "playroom" up and running. Up until recently, this room has just been a bunch of stuff just thrown into a room. I'm happy to report that we have made a lot of progress since May, and I now love this room!

We have a split level home built in the 1960's, and we use the main living area on the middle floor for most of our day, but I wanted to get some of the toys out of here and into a place for M. We have this large room downstairs that I guess would be used by most as a "den" or family room. We're using it for a mix of home office for J since he works from home, a craft space for me, and a play area for M. Here's a picture I have of half of the room when we first bought the house.


Here's what it looked like two months ago...I'm embarrassed to even be sharing this...this clutter is what it looked like on a daily basis.


And then here it is today...


A huuuuge improvement! We bought a sleeper sofa in June, and I feel like having a place to sit in here makes a big difference. Also, I am so glad we went with a sleeper so we have an extra place for guests to stay.


My mom helped me make the curtains and floral pillows for the room when she was here last week (fabric from Hobby Lobby), and I got the orange pillows at Homegoods on clearance. The pouf on floor is from walmart online.

On the wall adjacent to the couch, I put an old shelf (remember this one? I recovered it to match this room and I'm toying with the idea of repainting it. Maybe orange or green?) with some of M's toys and books along with her toy kitchen. We also have an old recliner over here that was given to me by a family I used to babysit for when I moved out on my own after college. It's old and has definitely seen better days, but it's Layla's chair and she would not be happy if we got rid of it. 
I haven't hung anything on the wall above it, but I'd love to put something up that can be used to display kids' artwork in the future.


Empty wall...for now!


On the other side of the room is my craft stuff (which I recently purged a TON of stuff...you can't tell though!) and J's home office with his standing desk that he built last summer. He made the bottom of his desk a magnetic chalkboard for M. 



My craft area and the back of J's desk is what you see when you go down the steps from our kitchen and enter the room...


We broke the room up with the help of an old 4x2 expedit ikea shelf we had (you can see it in the corner of the photo below). We laid it horizontal in the room and it does a great job dividing the room in two. 



All in all, I am so so happy with how far it has come! I still want some art for the walls, and like I said above, some sort of fun way to display M's art on the big open wall. But overall, it's a huge improvement to the mess that it was before!





11 comments:

  1. It really does look great! Perfect bonus space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, this looks soooo good! You can come over and do my house next! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful space! I love the pops of color & how functional you've made this space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW GIRL!!!!!!!! I'm SUPER impressed!!!! I mean, REALLY!!!! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO great!!! I wish we'd had the forethought (5 years ago!) to buy a house with a space for toys... Now with another baby M on the way, we will be out of bedrooms and busting at the seams! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! This room epitomizes urban living angst for me, because while I wouldn't trade high-density city-living for anything (okay, except maybe a beach house), we do NOT have space like this, and never will. Good on you for taking advantage of the awesome space you do have! Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I'm inspired to organize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so good! What a great space!

    ReplyDelete