Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer (Toddler) Reading

As we were checking out a stack of books for M the other day at our local library, our librarian shared with us that M was old enough to participate in our libraries summer reading program. I guess I just assumed summer reading programs were only for older children who could read, but turns out ours starts at birth! She's eligible for a program for kids birth-3, and it's a super simple bingo sheet that is focused on early literacy skills...


The teacher in me LOVES that they offer this, because I truly believe early literacy and language development are so important for classroom success down the road. Sometimes I forget that I'm not just her mom, I'm also her very first teacher and our home is her first classroom, and interacting with her and talking with her are setting the path for her learning as she grows. A lot of the items on this board are things we already do on a regular basis, but it's a great reminder to keep posted on our fridge for the summer. And as an added bonus, we also got a $5 fine voucher card which this forgetful mama loves!



If you have a young child, check out what summer reading programs your local library is offering this summer, or steal this bingo sheet from here and play along! 

3 comments:

  1. I believe she is reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. What a good book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a little chancepossibly we find the missing mayor of new orleans at this auction !!
    Another thing, liking the blog design. I had a similar blog to yours before I sold it on. Ive still not got around to uploading a custom design on my new blog.

    Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete