Friday, August 1, 2014

Around the web this week...

Just a few things I've read this week that really stuck with me....sorry in advance that these are all "mommy" related, but I really thought each one was worth sharing!


My sweet friend Amy wrote this post this past week titled, "A letter to my former kindergarten teaching self..." and it's just simply beautiful. Get your tissues ready. My child still has four whole years till she heads to kindergarten, and it had me sobbing like a baby!


When Love Feels Heavy: This blog post sums up my feelings on being a new mom so well. I had a fairly easy baby, but I still can relate to that feeling of loving someone so much that it feels like it could crush you. The author did such a fabulous job putting words to my emotions.

"The love you will feel is nothing like you have felt before. It will be foreign and familiar all at once. It will fill you to the very top of your heart, nearly spilling over. The thing about this kind of love, though, is that it can feel heavy. Disproportional. You may feel like you will nearly break in half from the top-heaviness. You will not be able to tell the difference between exhaustion and depression, and that darkness will rob you from what should be the most tender months of your daughter's new life."


Bunnies or Goldfish: I know, I know...there are about a thousand blog posts written daily on the "mommy wars" (a term I hate), but I really, really loved this one that a friend shared with me. It doesn't matter what I feed my kid and it doesn't matter what you feed yours (or dress them in, or let them play with, or where you take them, etc) as long as it's not physically harming them. This is worth the read.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing!You're a great Mom! :) About time for another wine night! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite refrain is "My choice is not an implied criticism of yours." I think that's what gets people so riled up, and maybe if we kept repeating that to ourselves there'd be less warring and more supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, thank you so much for sharing this! I'm actually the author; and it is clear this post resonated with people! we're a newish, very small blog (barely 300 followers), but this post has had nearly 100,000 views since Monday. I'm shocked and overwhelmed with gratitude to you and others who have enjoyed and shared it! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Cheers, Natalie
    www.momupsidedown.wordpress.com
    momupsidedown5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete