Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thoughts on having an almost two year old...



In 10 days, I will have a two year old. On the one hand, I'm a little sad because she's growing up and no longer my little baby, and blah blah blah, but on the other hand, I think it's so much fun to see her at this new stage where we can interact and have conversations and laugh and play with one another. Last year at this time, I was a weepy mess just thinking about her upcoming birthday because it really felt like the end of her babyhood, but now it just feels like we're on the verge of something great. 

If only I could tell you how many times a day I hear, "Mommy play with you!" when she wants my undivided attention down on the floor with her as she plays with her toys. Sometimes I wish she was more of an independent player, but other times I love that she wants her mom or dad right there with her, because I know it won't always be that way.

When I was extremely pregnant two years ago at this time, I don't think I ever really envisioned our days with a toddler. With a kid. All we really focused on was the baby. Baby clothes, baby gear, baby sleep, breastfeeding, burp cloths, etc. But now, that all seems so far in the past. Now my days are full of learning, talking, jumping, running, melt downs and tantrums, singing and belly laughs. Things that didn't even occur to me two years ago. I don't think I had any idea just how great it was going to get - and that is coming from someone who absolutely loved the newborn days (I know, I'm a rare breed). I have loved every step of this parenting thing, despite the bad days, and to see her thriving and loving life as an almost two year old, makes me love life just a little bit more.  

10 more days, little one! 


5 comments:

  1. I LOVED the newborn stage too! Noah will be turning 2 on 11/2 so we are in the same boat! I have to say I've loved every stage and I'm also excited for the person he's becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!!!! I might still be a little weepy about Chloe turning two, but it is amazing to see how far she has come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not a fan of the newborn stage but it's crazy to think how quickly that time passed, now that I'm looking back! It's so true that you tend to focus on the stage in which you're emerged. For us it feels like a cross between newborn and infancy! We're still desperate for more sleep around here but also embracing every milestone and how quickly she seems to be changing. My mom was in town visiting last weekend and is back to help me with babysitting at the end of this week and even she's remarked how much MM has seemed to grow in just a matter of days! Enjoy this sweet time with your precious little lady...and thank you for giving me so much to look forward to in the months/years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously so LOVING this stage that Elyse is in and she's almost 3! I love those moments when she looks at me and says..."Momma, wanna play with me?" or "Momma, wanna read this to me?" I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a couple months behind for having a 2-year-old girl, but I look around and wonder how did my son turn 5 and Drew almost be 2? It is NUTS! So fun but nuts!

    ReplyDelete