Wednesday, November 4, 2015

T's Birth Story

We originally planned for T's birthday to be on Monday, October 12 (I would have been 39 Week +4). But when I was 37 weeks + 4, the nurse practitioner checked me at my appointment and I was already dilated to 4cm, and the baby was "extremely low." She told me there was no way I'd make it two more weeks. Fast forward to that Friday...I was 38 weeks +1, and my doctor checked me again and I was still hanging out at a 4, and this time 80% effaced. He asked if I was feeling anxious to get the baby out, and even though I was in a great deal of pain, I knew I wanted to wait till full term at 39 weeks if we could. I told him my main fear was going into labor and having a rushed situation before the surgery. Because of this, we bumped my surgery and T's birthday from the 12th to the 8th, just as a precaution so I wouldn't go into labor on my own.

I continued to have contractions on those days leading up to his birth....some painful, some consistent, but in the end, it was never enough to make me feel like we had to go in. So, on the morning of Thursday, October 8, I woke at 3:30 AM to take a shower, and by 4:40 AM, we were out the door and on our way to the hospital for our 5AM check in time.

On our way to the hospital...

We checked in and we were introduced to our nurse who took us to a triage room where she began to prep me for surgery. She hooked me up to a monitor so we could check on the baby, and she got my IV in (after one failed attempt....this was more painful than my spinal block...) to start pumping me with fluids. She gave me the run down on exactly what would be happening that morning, and after about an hour or so, we headed to the OR.

Final belly shot....

Getting pumped with fluid...

Already, this delivery felt completely different than it did with M. With her, the OR was a total blur. I remember meeting her, but everything leading up to that is so hazy. Probably because I was in so much pain and I just wanted to be done after 3 hours of pushing...

Waiting....

Once we got to the OR, I met my anesthesiologist and the nurse anesthetist. Both were women and were just plain AWESOME. They talked to me about how my drugs during the surgery would be different (ie better) this time since I hadn't already had an epidural. Once they were done talking with me, my OB came by to say hi and cracked a few jokes, and then it was time to give J a kiss and say goodbye so they could begin prepping me.

In the OR, it was so so calm. With M, things were just crazy and everyone seemed to be moving so fast. This time, everyone in there was talking about their weekend plans and their kids. It immediately put my mind at ease. The nurse practitioner and I talked about husbands with torn ACL's, and we laughed. It was so funny how relaxed and calm this part was! My anesthesiologist got the needle in for the spinal block, and like she described would happen, I immediately felt kind of cold from my chest down and just very heavy. They helped me lay down and the real prep began. At 7:16, prep was over and they brought J in. There were a few times I did feel a little sick, so the nurse anesthetist gave me some zofran through the IV and I quickly felt better.

J and I were chatting with the nurse anesthetist and after a few minutes of chatting I remember asking my OB if we were close to go time, and he responded by saying, "You're going to meet this baby in just a minute...get ready for some pressure" and sure enough, the NP put some serious pressure on my upper torso/ribs, and a few seconds later I felt that pressure release and then heard crying. It all happened so fast. At 7:35AM, our little guy entered the world.

Going into this, I think I felt like all second time moms feel before they meet baby #2....will I really love this baby as much as I love my first? Before he was here, I just couldn't grasp loving another baby as much as I loved M, but from the minute I heard that cry, I got it. Your heart really does grow. I know it's cheesy and so cliche, but it's so true. I heard his wailing and saw them carry him across the room to get weighed and checked out, and I just began to bawl. I immediately felt that same love I felt the first time.

As the nurse was measuring T and getting his stats, J walked over to watch and reported back that he had more hair than his big sister did at birth and he was big. My OB called over the curtain to me and told me he was positive that my baby was 10+ lbs.  A few seconds later his nurse reported back that he was 10 pounds 2 ounces. And then after measuring him THREE times, she gave his length....23" long. I had never in my life heard of a baby that long, but I quickly understood why I was SO uncomfortable my third trimester. My baby was almost 2 feet tall.


Once they were done getting him measured and cleaned off, they gave him to J who brought him to me. We immediately agreed he looked like his big sister, but his chin was weaker than hers. And we laughed at his little pout face.

Eventually, they got me all stitched up (technically glued up....no stitches this time!) and J and the baby headed out to recovery where I think he got a real bath. Once I was all settled out in recovery and my pain drugs were flowing steadily through my IV, they brought him over to me to nurse. His nurse referred to him as a "hot tamale" which was wonderful because my drugs were making me feel so cold! She handed him to me and we were finally able to have skin to skin time and nurse.



We nursed for awhile and somewhere in this time they told me they'd be checking his blood sugar before every feeding for the for the first 24 hours to make sure his body was processing sugar properly. Even though I didn't have gestational diabetes, they test large babies at birth in case it had gone undiagnosed in me. Turns out, he was fine and his numbers came back fine each time...he just comes from a family of big genes (J was a big baby and is 6'4").

Also, during recovery, I had a woman come by and talk to me about placenta donation. Perhaps the most interesting part of my delivery! Because I was a c-section (they won't use placentas from a vaginal birth because they're considered contaminated once they go through the birth canal) and the placenta was healthy and my OB had not requested for it to go to pathology, I could donate my placenta to a medical group that takes them and makes bandages out of them for people who have open wounds (think burn victims or diabetes patients). She told me my placenta could potentially make bandages for 35-50 wounds, which also meant someone could avoid having a skin graft done to heal an open wound. So, about an hour after Ts birth, I also donated my placenta to be made into bandages. Modern medicine is pretty crazy and really cool.


From here, we pretty much just snuggled our baby boy and debated his name for a good hour before officially deciding on Theodore (which I can now confidently say was 100% the perfect choice!). I was pretty loopy and tired from the pain meds they had me on, so I tried to rest a little before our visitors would be arriving. The maternity floor was at capacity, so we ended up hanging in our recovery room for longer than we expected, but somewhere around 12:30/1, they got us a room and I was transferred there, and shortly after our moms and M made their way over for a visit.


T's birth story isn't an overly exciting one, and truthfully, scheduled c-sections are no where near as exciting as a long labor! But....with all that said, it still will remain one of the best days of our lives, and I am glad I have all these little details jotted down to help me remember all the little pieces that made this day so special! We are so thankful for our (not so little) guy. He will be four weeks tomorrow, and the past four weeks with him have been exhausting and hard and even painful those first few days, but they've also been so so sweet. We're all so glad he's here and he's ours.


8 comments:

  1. I just loved reading this! Teddy is absolutely adorable and I'm so happy for your sweet family of four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! He is so precious. I'm curious what other names y'all were debating and where you thought of Teddy. A mom at our kids' school had a little boy about 2+ weeks ago and named him Teddy, too! I went from knowing ZERO babies named Teddy to 2 both born in October, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing the memories with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story! I am so glad all went smoothly. Teddy is such a handsome baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always felt like you...my own scheduled c/s birth stories are a little boring, but then I cry reading every birth story I come across -- no matter the details! So cheesy to say, but they are all just beautiful! Yours is no different!

    Congratulations another 100 times on your precious baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your story!!! You're right, you'll be so glad you have it all written down. He's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed to read this tonight. I'm up late not being able to sleep & feeling the anxiety of a second & this post was sweet, wonderful, and reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I love birth stories!!! And I'm glad T's was relatively uneventful!! Still can't believe he was almost TWO FEET long!!! Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete