Tuesday, January 19, 2016

2015 Reads

As promised, here are my 2015 reads with a little blurb about each one. I am posting them in the order I read them...
Let's begin...


1. The Secret Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, 3/5 Goodreads stars. This book came highly recommended to me by a few people and I just didn't like it. It had a few redeeming story lines, but overall, the plot and characters were just meh to me. 

2. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, 4/5 Goodreads stars. Loved it. It was a fun, quick read but it wasn't just fluff. It was suspenseful, and the teacher in me loved reading about the over the top parents at an elementary school, as I have definitely seen that in real life. 

3. Whistling Past The Graveyard by Susan Crandall, 2/5 Goodreads stars. I struggled with this book BIG time. It took me a long time to finish because I just never got into it. I kept thinking that moment where you get hooked was going to happen and it just never did. Some parts just dragged and dragged, and to get to the good stuff, you have to read through a lot of boring chapters (at least that's how I felt...).


4. Yes Please by Amy Poehler, 4/5 Goodreads stars. After book #3, this was a great choice. It was written in small little essays, which made it easy to read little pieces at a time, and it also helps that I love Amy. I loved her chapter on Parks and Rec, and I love the part written by Seth Myers. Only regret would be not listening to this book so I could have heard it in her voice.

5. Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, 5/5 Goodreads stars. Like everyone else, I devoured this book last spring. It was entertaining and suspenseful, and I truly didn't see the ending coming until the last minute. Loved it.

6. One Plus One by JoJo Moyes, 4/5 Goodreads stars. Moyes' book Me Before You was my favorite read of 2014, so I was excited to read another piece by her. One Plus One was not as good as MBY, but I still really enjoyed it. I think she's a great writer, and although the story wasn't that exciting, I loved the characters and was a little sad to put it down when it was over.


7. All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner, 3/5 Goodreads stars. Here's my annual Jennifer Weiner book. Whenever I find that I have nothing new to read, I can always count on the library having a Jennifer Weiner book that I haven't read. I always like her books. Never love, but always like, so they seem to be a good filler when I don't have anything else to read. This wasn't one of my favorites by her, mostly because of the way it ended, but I did enjoy it. The subject matter is about a suburban mom and prescription drug addiction, and I found it rather terrifying. After T was born and I was on some crazy pain meds due to my surgery, I kept thinking back to this book.

8. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, 4/5 Goodreads stars. Moriarty just writes good stories. This was the third book I have read by her, and once again, I really liked it. I think if I had not just read Big Little Lies a few months before this, I probably would have given it 5/5 stars.

9. From Scratch by Rachel Goodman, 4/5 Goodreads stars. Rachel is a "blog" friend of mine from back in the day when everyone blogged regularly, and I was so excited to read her debut novel. This was a fun, light read. I read it while we were at the lake and thought it was the perfect vacation read. If you like Emily Giffin's books, you would enjoy this!


10. The Well-Behaved Child; Discipline That Really Works by John Rosemond, 3/5 Goodreads stars. I sort of took a big break from reading from August - December. Once M hit 3, it's like a switch flipped and suddenly her behavior shifted drastically into the "threenager" territory that everyone warned me of. A friend suggested this book and lent me her copy. When I first began the book, I hated it. I thought Rosemond was kind of a judgemental jerk, and I wanted nothing to do with his ideas. But I stuck with it and by the end I actually pulled out some really helpful pieces of advice. I plan to implement some of his ideas into our home, while other ideas of his I'll never use. If you have a young kid and you're looking for some help with discipline, I think it's worth a read if you go into it with the mindset that not everything will be for you and how you parent.

So there you have it! My goal for 2016 is 12 books; one book per month. I'm hopeful that I can keep up! Any must reads for this year? Leave a comment and let me know!

Add me on Goodreads here!

3 comments:

  1. Just finished The Storied Life of AJ Fikry for book club - pretty good! Also, as someone who has read most of Liane Moriarty's books, beware of her earlier stuff - it's okay but not as good as the books you've read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read every Liane Moriarty book this year - had several friends mention over the years and finally read them. LOVED them all (Three Wishes was my least favorite, What Alice Forgot was my favorite). Did you read the Me Before You sequel (After You)? It was very good (not as good as MBY but really good). I also read all the Robert Galbraith books this year as well (J.K. Rowling pseudonym) - they got progressively better. The Night Circus was great (slow building but so good)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a horrible job with making time to read this year once E joined us. Although sleep is still a luxury at our house, I think I am used to the sleep deprivation now. Just added some books to my cart at the library! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete