Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Summer Odds and Ends

Summer is flying by at rapid speed. I don't quite know how we got to the middle of August, but I do know that it has been a hot one and we're sort of ready for the routine and predictability that comes with fall. 





A few summer highlights for us that haven't made the blog...

M spent a few days without us up in Virginia at my parents' house. She had a ball and I know they loved their quality time with her. Meanwhile, we got to spoil T and let him feel like an only child for a few days.

We got to see a few of J's good high school friends and their babies over the past few weeks. One set of friends were visiting Charlotte and we got to catch up and play for the afternoon. And then we spent a long weekend with our other good friends at their cabin in the mountains in Virgina like we do every summer. This summer was especially fun though because their little boy is about a month older than T, so it was fun watching them play together for the weekend.

Been making so many great new summer recipes...two favorites to share! Grilled Flat iron with Charred Tomato Relish and burgers with heavy cream and Lawry's Seasoning. Strange, I know! But I heard Laura Tremaine talk about this on the Sorta Awesome podcast, and we gave it a try...they were delicious. If you like a good juicy burger, add this to your next meal plan!

Saw the Dixie Chicks here in Charlotte with 3 long time friends (and J and one friend's girlfriend) last weekend, and the DC were just as great as they were the last time I saw them in 2003. We bought these tickets back in November and I have truly been stressing about leaving T with a sitter and a bottle since about February, but he did great and we had the best time. It was even more special getting to see them with such old friends.

The Olympics! They've been so fun and I've loved watching Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles and Kerri Walsh Jennings and even goofy Ryan Lochte with his blue/white hair compete each night. Only problem with the two weeks that the Olympics are on is my extreme lack of sleep. I find myself parked on the couch till midnight each night. I'm loving it but I'll be glad to see it finish on Sunday!

M did a fun 3 day camp at her school for four weeks in July with her school pals (have I mentioned before how much she has LOVED school and her friends and the teachers there?) and then a few different days at Art Camp at a local children's art studio. T's morning naps have made it hard for us to get out and do a lot of fun morning activities, so we're all thankful for these fun activities for her. 

Hamilton has been a theme for my summer. I guess you could call it a theme because it has been on nonstop basically every day, all day. If you haven't listened yet, you must listen all the way through from start to finish and read the lyrics on your first listen through (and if you have Amazon Prime, it's free on Amazon music!). Even if you don't care for musicals, this one will change your life. (I realize I sound a little dramatic, but y'all, it's THAT good). We splurged and bought tickets to go see it in NYC in March which is FOREVER away, but I wanted to feel confident in knowing T would be weaned when we go. I'm over the moon excited for it. 

We celebrated eight years of marriage on July 25. We had a wonderful and peaceful dinner at CustomShop while two sweet friends babysat for us. It was refreshing to have a night out with just the two of us. 

We have one more beach trip before summer ends. We're heading to Myrtle Beach for part of next week with my parents and I think it'll be a fun way to end the summer. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw your friend who lost her battle with PPD profiled in Us Weekly. I hate that you lost someone you care about and Ainslee lost her mom, but I hope this article helps even 1 mother who is struggling. I had a hard time admitting when I was suffering and I had a pretty mild case. I can't imagine the suffering she was feeling and hope this article encourages others to get help. In case you didn't see it: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/a-mom-took-her-own-life-while-suffering-from-postpartum-depression-w437304

    ReplyDelete