Friday, February 3, 2017

5 on Friday: New Recipe, Movies, Podcasts, & Beauty Favs

Happy first Friday of February! 
Linking up with April this week to share five snippits from the week.



1. This (L'oreal Infallible Matte Lip Gloss) is my new favorite drug store lip stick! It's a liquid gloss, but goes on with a matte finish and stays on so well through out the day! I have a few shades now, and I'm loving it. I have found it at Target for $7.99, can't beat that!


2. Last Sunday, we had a babysitter come over for the afternoon and we went out to see Moonlight. It was....okay. I know, I know. It's already won a bunch of awards, and was also nominated for a few Oscars, but I just didn't love it. It dealt with some pretty big issues (racism, sexuality, isolation, poverty) but I don't think it hit each of those areas as much as I wanted it to. It was like it only glazed the surface of each issue and I wanted more. It was well done and the acting was wonderful. But the story/writing just wasn't enough for my liking. We also watched Sing Street on Netflix (another movie about a young man trying to find his place in the world) and I loved it. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it. And free if you have Netflix!

 

3. One of my favorite places to grab a quick lunch here in Charlotte is Chicken Salad Chick. I like their chicken salad, but what I really love is their broccoli salad on the side! I did a little searching on pinterest and found a few copy cat recipes and I sort of combined a few and made my own version  a few weeks ago with some ribs that J smoked. It was excellent...just as good as the real thing!


Broccoli Salad
2 heads of broccoli
8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 Mayo (I like Duke's!)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of sugar

Whisk the mayo, vinegar, sugar, and juice in a bowl to make your dressing.

Wash broccoli and remove the heads. Toss in large bowl with dressing, bacon, and cheese. 

Refrigerate until served!

4. My new favorite nail color, Essie Romper Room! Also, I recently bought this Orly Bonder that I've been putting on my nails before I paint them, and I'm finding my polish is lasting a good 24-48 longer before it starts to chip/peel. For $8 on Prime, that's a winner in my book!


5. And ya'll know I love my podcasts! This is one I listened to after hearing about some of the Sorta Awesome girls chat about it in on their show. The Gimlet Media podcast Startup is done in seasons, and I've actually only listened to one story that they mentioned, so season 4, episodes 4-10. The story is about the American Apparel CEO and founder, Dov Charney, and y'all. It's nuts. This guy is on the one hand, a brilliant businessman, but on the other hand...he's completely crazy and terrible. It's a fascinating story about him and the company before he was fired and where he is now as he's starting a new t-shirt business. I didn't know anything about him before listening, but I found it to be captivating show.


4 comments:

  1. That broccoli salad looks GOOD! Thanks for sharing the recipe, will have to try it out.

    Also, thanks for the heads up on the Startup podcast! I've fallen down a rabbit hole of political podcasts to try and keep up with all the... activity... in DC, and this will be a great change of pace to keep me from losing my mind, lol. Hope y'all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that polish color! And that broccoli salad looks great!! Happy Friday!

    happilyevergriedlscom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched Sing street about two weekends ago after a popcast green light & LOVED it too! Such a cute story! I'm also loving that podcast rec. I've listened to the first episode & im hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree about Moonlight. It wasn't nearly as good as the reviews claim.

    ReplyDelete