Friday, April 7, 2017

Look around, look around! [NYC March 2017]

Time for a trip recap. If you don't like pictures of yummy food, Hamilton (blasphemy), boat like hotels, or other broadway related things, then I apologize in advance!

So let's see...let's start with last June. When we planned this trip. I had recently been bit by the Hamilton bug a few months before this, and we were on our family vacation in Hilton head watching the Tony awards. I had said to J previously that I thought it'd be fun to make a trip to NYC to see the show, but we both knew tickets were either outrageously expensive or just flat out impossible to get. About 15 minutes before the Tony's ended, I got an email alert letting me know they'd be opening a new set of tickets when the show ended. I hopped on the laptop at 11:01 and got to work. It was not easy (ticketmaster, you are the worst), but we got our tickets....for nine months later in March!

So after many many MANY more listen throughs of the soundtrack, we eventually made it to March and our trip was here! But now we also had 2 kid free days in NYC and I got to work planning a fun trip for us!

J actually flew up to NYC to work on Monday with his team there, and I joined him late Wednesday night. When I got there, we went to dinner in Little Italy, but took a quick detour on our way to the subway station so I could see this...

"She is buried in Trinity Church near you" (all the crying eyes)

This is where Alexander, Eliza, and Angelica are all buried. 


After our dinner we headed back to our hotel and I gave J his "heart" M had made for me to bring on the trip. I love that kid.


The next morning, J had to head into his office for most of the day, and I was left on my own. I booked myself a ticket for a Foods of NY walking tour. I opted to do a morning tour at Chelsea Market, and my friends, it didn't disappoint! J likes to give me a hard time and tell me I'm a bit of a "tour guide snob" (it's true, I totally am), but my tour guide here was fantastic and wealth of knowledge! Chelsea Market was a really fun place to do a food tour because the building is packed with adorable and delicious establishments, but unless you're a resident of NYC, you would never sample them all on a trip. but with the food tour we stopped and tasted something at about a dozen of the places in there, and we got some good tips on what to order in pretty much every place we didn't stop to grab a bite. I can't recommend this tour enough if you're looking for a low key and fun NYC activity!




::funny tour guide note...we had a young couple on the tour from England. We had a "biscuit" and jam at one place, Sarabeth's, and the guide asked the couple if they had ever had a biscuit and then they went on to talk about scones vs biscuits. The guide then said "Do you want to know why we call them biscuits?.....Because we won the war"...this was an excellent start to my Hamilday!::

After the tour which ended with a fun little stroll on the highline and then a few neat views in the meat packing district, I walked over to the flat iron district for an appointment I had made at a dry bar, RPZL. I knew I'd have a little more free time before J would be done working, and it was too cold to just hang out on the high line or in a park, so I thought I'd treat myself to some pretty hair and pampering...something I pretty much never do but want to do all the time now! My stylist was SO sweet and gave me such pretty waves. We had a wonderful chat about being a stylist in NYC vs a stay at home mom in Charlotte, NC. I wish I had taken a picture in here! I have pictures later down that show my hair!

I went back to Chelsea where our second hotel was (we opted to move out of the financial district for our last two nights since J wasn't working on Friday). We stayed at the Maritime Hotel here, which overall, we really did love it! It was a fun boutique hotel that really stuck with their "nautical" theme. Our room was beautiful, relatively spacious for NYC, had a beautiful bar downstairs and a great complimentary breakfast, and the location was fabulous. I'd definitely return here!


We got ready for our 7PM show and 5PM dinner plans with the other theater district early birds. We ate at Becco in the theater district and it was a great choice. Fast since they know they're catering to theater goers, but really good. If I'm being honest, I really wasn't THAT hungry since I was so anxious and excited for the show, but I still managed to eat. I knew if I didn't I'd be starving by the end of the show. About half way through dinner, I told J I felt the same way I felt the day we drove to the hospital to have our babies. That's how jittery and anxiously excited I was!


So now...on to the big event. Hamilton. Siiiiiigh. There just aren't enough words. I am still processing it 2+ weeks later.



Let's start with the serious deets for the serious fans. 
Here was the cast we saw on the night we were there.


The show itself was truly everything I hoped it would be and just SO much more. Is that too cliche? I don't even care, it's the truth! Walking into the Richard Rogers theater at 6:30 with the rest of the crowd was one of the craziest and coolest moments of my life. EVERY person in that line seemed to have the same level of excitement and nervousness that I did. Everyone there either had been waiting for MONTHS like us for this trip, or they had paid a small fortune for this night. There was just an energy in the air that I can't compare to anything else. It was special. 

So the actual show...what do I even say other than it took the most genius piece of art and music I've ever experienced and seeing it in the flesh with the dancing and the strategic staging and the spinning circles on the stage and the actual facial expressions made by the actors, it all just amplified the layers of this show. It took something that I knew by heart and completely turned it all around and showed me new pieces and things I didn't notice before. It was beautiful. I thought for sure I'd be sobbing through out the whole thing, but I really didn't. I got a lump in my throat when Phillip died and Eliza ran to him, and then I shed a few tears in It's Quiet Uptown and Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story. My favorite numbers on the stage were actually My Shot (I loved when they started the "Rise up!" here) and Satisfied. seeing this one in person was just cool how they made it "rewind." My favorite cast member we saw would be a toss up between Lexi Lawson as Eliza (I found her to be so endearing) and Taran Killam as the King. But I was truly impressed by everyone. And even though I know the OBC and their unique sound so well, I didn't miss anyone. I thought everyone was perfectly suited. And Javier as Hamilton...he was perfect. I love Lin, but Javier's voice is definitely better!



Are you still with me? That was a lot of words! 

Now on to Friday...not nearly as BIG of a day, but just as much fun! We slept in and then went to have breakfast at Friend of a Farmer in Gramercy Park. It was delicious, and a quiet, child free breakfast out is probably my favorite way to start the day. 


While at breakfast we were debating how we wanted to spend the day. I had made us dinner reservations for the night, but we sorta wanted to ditch them and see another show. After a quick texting session with my sister who just moved out of the city last May, J and I headed down to the South Street Seaport TKTS box office for their 11AM openeing to see if we could find a deal for a Friday night show. My first choice was to see Waitress (it was still Jessie Mueller's last week), but there were only partial view tickets for a 20% discount, BUT they also had Amelie tickets for 40% off and in the third row. SOLD! More about the show later!

We hopped back on the subway and headed to The Met (thanks for the suggestion Mallory!). J also gets free tickets to a large number of museums in the city for him and a guest, so this was a free trip, but I'd definitely pay to return. We had fun strolling around for about two hours. We grabbed a bite to eat afterwards and went back to the hotel to rest for a little bit before the show.


After some naps and showers, we walked back over to Chelsea Market and grabbed dinner and a beer at a sushi bar in there. We weren't starving, so this was the perfect dinner before the show.


We got to the theater a little early, so we took a quick stroll over to Times Square to snap a picture for M since this is what she remembers most about her trip to NYC in 2015! 



Amelie and Pippa! So one of the main reasons I was itching to see Amelie was to see Philippa Soo in the role of Amelie. And my friends, she didn't disappoint! She was so good. The whole show was just so fun. I had never seen the movie Amelie that it is based on, but it really didn't matter. I'm so glad we ditched our dinner plans and squeezed in one more show. It was 100% worth it!


 We ended the night at an Irish Pub in Hell's Kitchen with a plate of nachos and two beers, and then we got back to our hotel and CRASHED! I logged close to 20,000 steps this day on my fitbit, and we slept well that night.

So there you have it. Was that enough detail? I only rambled a little bit, right? NYC never disappoints. We had a ball, we ate well, we enjoyed one of the best 3 hours of our lives, and it was nice to step away from parenthood for a few days and feel like real grown ups (thanks mom and dad!).

3 comments:

  1. YAY HAMILWORDS! Loved reading your recap -- I 100% agree that the level of anticipation before seeing the show is pre-childbirth level; that is a truly superb way to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! I love it!! I've been dying for us to get a chance to recap! I'm so glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love NYC and hope to see Hamilton...someday! Wicked is my fave play to date so I am curious what I will think after H!

    ReplyDelete